People hold signs about evictions.

The California assembly has recently approved legislation, AB 832, which will extend the statewide COVID-19 moratorium through September 30, 2021, with a final vote on the bill as early as Monday, June 28.

In a similar fashion to SB 91, under AB 832 tenants who provide property owners with a declaration of COVID-19 hardship will have until September 30, 2021, to pay 25% of the rent owed from April 1, 2020, through September 30, 2021. Moreover, tenants who fail to provide property owners with a completed declaration of COVID-19 hardship can still be evicted for nonpayment of rent. Under AB 832, cities and counties are prohibited from initiating new eviction moratoria through March 2022.

AB 832 also requires property owners to demonstrate that they have waited at least 20 days after applying to a rent relief program before initiating an eviction for nonpayment of rent. Beginning October 1, 2021, owners can return to serving a three-day notice to pay rent or quit for nonpayment of rent. Moreover, AB 832 will include provisions to pay off 100% of qualified tenant’s unpaid rent. Property owners who have already received 80% of their unpaid rent through relief funds will receive the remaining 20% under this legislation.